These are a few of my favorite things!

These are a few of my favorite things!

Friday, February 19, 2010

Moving hay and cattle

The boys are moving some cows through the river bottoms to a new spot to be fed.
Get your "eagle" eyes on and see if you can see the baldy in the tree. (center of the picture) I love to look down and see it perched there. They hang around until about April and then they leave and don't come back until December or January. I have ridden my horse right under the eagle and he just watches me. Today, I wasn't a horseback so my picture is poor.

This is how we move our hay around. Honey is in the tactor today. I know you all are surprised that he is the driver but he actually does a pretty good job in there!
The bale on the truck weighs 1500 ro 1700 lbs. We load what we need to feed each place the cows are at. Some places take 3 bales of hay others just 1.
The toughest part of the feeding for me, is the balancing on the back of the truck. The places we feed, especially this time of year, are rough. (due mostly to the "poopcicles") It is a challenge for me to feed fast enough. I am lucky that I only feed when there is a good chance of getting stuck and there is nothing worse than getting stuck and having to have someone else dig me out!


No comments:

Post a Comment