These are a few of my favorite things!

These are a few of my favorite things!

Friday, March 25, 2011

Tools of the Trade

 We take this bucket of waters and the tuber out every morning to the Meadow to mix with the electrolites to give to the sick calves.
 This is our doctor bag.
 Alma's gloves--They don't smell good and neither do mine.
This is the book we keep track of the calves that are born and the calves we have doctored. 


We had a rough day today.
  The calves all looked pretty good but there was a storm coming in so we wanted to give them all the help that they needed.  Alma roped a calf that has been improving but since he would be rained and snowed on all day, we decided to tube him.  I mixed the electrolites and gave it to Alma and I got the shot and the SMZ pills ready and when I turned around the calf was making wierd noises and not looking good.  We were trying a new kind of electrolite and it was geletin like.  Anyway, it got into the calves lungs and he died within about 30 seconds.  We lifted his back end into the air and tried to get the stuff to drain out of his lungs but to no avail. 
 It was so crazy. 
We have tubed calves alot and I haven't seen a relatively healthy and strong calf die like that. 
 We felt bad.

1 comment:

  1. My brother had a couple calves die from something similar. Very odd!

    ReplyDelete