These are a few of my favorite things!

These are a few of my favorite things!

Monday, January 25, 2010

Winter workout

Winter can get very long around here. It is not any fun for me to sit in the house all day. I also don't enjoy going to the gym that much. I used to, but that is another blog.
The last five or so years, I love to go out and snow shoe.
It is so fun--no really, it is fun-- but it is a work out. I come back dripping wet and if it is foggy the sweat in my hair freezes, gross huh.
I have tried several trails around Paradise and always seem to return to the same place, partly because it is the closest for my walking partner and partly because I can get the best work out for the time spent.
Some days, the snow is powder, (that greatest snow on earth thing) and that is the most difficult.
Other days, the snow is crusty and I don't sink and hardly need the snow shoes. (this snow happens after it has been very cold and an inversion is in place) I am surprised that each day the snow is different and makes the work-out change also.
Some days I can hardly see the mountains because of the low clouds, and some days it is so sunny and the snow looks like diamonds because it is so sparkly.
These are my favorite days.
I've tried to get my girls to love it like I do and they humor me and come occasionally but I am usually on my own with my sister-in-law, and she is a great walking partner. She wants to stop and rest just when I am completely out of breath so she gets the guilt for being out of shape, when really I am just as tired! And, she has 10 years on me! She is amazing!
Chelsie loves to come. She runs like a puppy and then she is so exhausted that she sleeps the next day. She is only invited about twice a week.
So, if you call me in the morning, this time of the year, I am outside, sweating my guts out and loving every minute!

1 comment:

  1. I'm afraid I also only go to humor my mother. That and I almost have a heart attack after about five minutes. Maybe I'll join you guys and we can strap the baby on my mom to slow her down.

    ReplyDelete