Poor Boon had several pounds of burrs in his tail. I have tried many different techniques to get them out with the least amount of pulling hair out. The horses don't mind because they get a bucket of oats to enjoy while I'm pulling!
The most effective by far is to just cut the hair at the base.Of course, my deceased father-in-law would roll over in his grave if I did that.
The next best solution is WD40. I know, who'd a thought, but it is slippery and the burrs just fall out.The downside is that it makes your gloves smell funny! And is it flamable? Oh well.
Oh ya, did I mention that my hands get full of slivers as I pull the burrs out? They aren't just your average slivers either. They are clear or hollow or something and they itch terrible! I always wear gloves and stand down wind so they don't get in my eyes. That is also the reason it is important to get them out of the horses hair, because it gets in their eyes too.
I have tried baby oil and that works ok, except just when I saturate the mane or tail they shake or swish and then I am coveredwith oil--not good.
I sprayed and cut down more burr bushes(?) this year than ever before and I still have horses that look like this. We had a wet spring and every seed, I swear, germinated and grew!
I guess I am learning patience and long suffering because I am getting better at not just cutting the hair out. I am also learning not to judge others by their looks because right now my horses look funny and it doesn't matter how hard I try I can't force them to stay out of the burrs.
So, if you smell a strange odor heading your way, know that it is just me stopping by to say Hi and I'm looking for another set of tweezers to get the burr slivers out of my fingers since the girls have lost mine, again
man oh man, your poor hands! The horses greatly appreciate your sacrifice I'm sure.
ReplyDeleteBurrs are so miserable...it's funny to hear the different solutions you've tried. Good luck with your hands.
ReplyDelete