These are a few of my favorite things!

These are a few of my favorite things!

Sunday, July 18, 2010

chopping hay

This is our chopper and our old truck

You will notice that there is no AC button.

The steering wheel is so cool!

And, the gear shifter is even more cool!
Unfortunately, it is one of the few things that are "cool" about chopping hay for silage. It was a hot day, of course, and a slight breeze was blowing, which on a regular day would be good, but not on a day when feather-light chaf is blowing all over!
I am glad that I was on pipe duty and lunch duty this day. I made a couple of trips with Bryan and then it was time to fix lunch!
I have had a bad experience with driving the silage truck.
One year, I was coming off the hill behind Allan's. My brakes were poor at best, so I geared down and hoped for the best as I approached the highway. Luckily, there were no cars coming. It was the last load so I opted to go on the highway instead of the back road--bad idea--and I had even less brakes as I approached Marj's house to pull across the bridge. Thanks to a few tender mercies, my guardian angels and I made it across the bridge only to end up on the lawn instead of the driveway. I was so glad! I got my load dumped, but I swore off driving the truck off the hill!
Posted by Picasa

1 comment: