We had an accident on the 18th of June. The funny thing about this accident is that I have no clue how it happened.
This four-year-old had a bad crash below the Red Barn. I don't know what he did but in the four hours that we were gone, he had torn his whole chest open and cut his back leg all up when we returned. Luckily, the horse had the common sense to wander back to the barn so we would see him and also, the vet was planning to preg check for us later that day. She said that he will probably be sound, but not for at least six months.
And I just had the farrier put new shoes on the week before so we could use him!
Young horses!! AUGH!
He has been very easy to get along with. He had to have a shot every day for a week and then I have had to re-wrap his wound several times. This makes healing so much better! We just let him wander around the barn yard for the first week because he was so sore he wouldn't wander too far and he could eat down all the grass around the barn!
This four-year-old had a bad crash below the Red Barn. I don't know what he did but in the four hours that we were gone, he had torn his whole chest open and cut his back leg all up when we returned. Luckily, the horse had the common sense to wander back to the barn so we would see him and also, the vet was planning to preg check for us later that day. She said that he will probably be sound, but not for at least six months.
And I just had the farrier put new shoes on the week before so we could use him!
Young horses!! AUGH!
He has been very easy to get along with. He had to have a shot every day for a week and then I have had to re-wrap his wound several times. This makes healing so much better! We just let him wander around the barn yard for the first week because he was so sore he wouldn't wander too far and he could eat down all the grass around the barn!
These pictures were taken one week later. He had started to play with the stitches so Cody and I rigged up this "bra" for him. It actually worked really well. He kept it on for about a week. Long enough for the stitches to heal -well sort of heal.
I am glad that I can take care of him without being grossed out but I am also glad that I am not a vet!
No comments:
Post a Comment